Meatloaf is a meal that I crave on a cold winter night. The recipe that I used called for egg though. In order for my Nick to be able to eat it with me it had to be an egg free meatloaf recipe. Luckily it was easy to modify it and add it to my list of egg free recipes.
Egg Free Meatloaf Recipe
When you say “meatloaf” you often get two different reactions because people seem to either love it or hate it. I’ll admit that as a kid I wasn’t a big fan of it, but things change. As an adult though I can’t get enough of it.
My mother’s egg free meatloaf recipe is one of her own creations because she had never been a fan of most meatloaf recipes that she had tried. In the end she took a little of this, a little of that, and created an easy meatloaf recipe that she enjoyed.
To this day she just throws the ingredients into the bowl without really measuring them. I have never had the knack to cook that way, so I use the recipe that I posted below that includes specific ingredient amounts. It still tastes just as good! Promise!
I still remember when we tried to make the meatloaf recipe without the added egg for the first time. We really weren’t sure how it would turn out. Would it taste as good? Would it fall apart on us? The only difference we have ever found between the two recipes was that with the egg free meatloaf recipe the meatloaf doesn’t hold it’s shape quite as well, but unless you’re going for a five-star restaurant meatloaf presentation you should be fine. In the end adjusting the ingredients to remove the egg part turned out to be very easy. There really is no reason to include the egg in my opinion.
Here’s What You Need to Make the Egg Free Meatloaf
For the Meatloaf
- 1lb burger (I personally like to use 1lb of ground turkey burger)
- 1/2 can tomato soup
- 1 Sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/2 Cup ketchup
- 1/3 Cup barbecue sauce (whatever flavor your family prefers – we like Kraft Sweet Honey Barbecue Sauce best)
- 1/2 Cup oatmeal
- Pepper to taste
For the Meatloaf Topping
- 1/4 Cup ketchup
- 1/4 Cup barbecue sauce
How to the Make Egg Free Meatloaf
First you need to combine all of the ingredients for the meatloaf into a large mixing bowl and mix them together. I recommend crushing all of the crackers in the sleeve before dumping them into the bowl. If you find that your mixture is a bit soupy than add some additional oatmeal.
Next, put the meatloaf mixture into a sprayed 2 quart oven safe casserole dish. Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes at 350. At some point while the meatloaf is cooking you’ll want to mix the ingredients for the topping together in a bowl.
After the 45 minutes remove the meatloaf from the oven and apply the topping to it. I find it easiest to just pour the topping on to the meatloaf and then move it around with a basting brush. Finally, put the meatloaf back into the over and bake it for another 15 minutes at 350.
You can see why this is such an easy meatloaf recipe to make! It takes almost no time to make. All you have to wait on is for it to bake. Although the waiting isn’t easy because it quickly smells so good!
- For the Meatloaf
- 1lb Burger
- ½ Can tomato soup
- 1 Sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- ½ Cup Ketchup
- ⅓ Cup barbecue sauce
- ½ Cup oatmeal
- Pepper to Taste
- For the Meatloaf Topping
- ¼ Cup ketchup
- ¼ Cup barbecue sauce
- Combine meatloaf ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. Crush the crackers up in their sleeve before adding them. If you find the mixture it soupy than add some additional oatmeal.
- Bake the meatloaf i.n a sprayed oven safe bowl for 45 minutes at 350.
- Mix together topping ingredients.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and apply the topping with a basting brush.
- Put the meatloaf back in the oven and cook it for an additional 15 minutes at 350.
Egg Free Resources:
- Enjoy Life Soft Baked Cookies: Egg-Free
- The Allergy-Free Pantry: Make Your Own Staples, Snacks, and More Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts by Colette Martin (Kindle Edition)
- The Egg-Free Cookbook: Get Back the Foods You’ve Been Missing by Tabitha Elliot (Kindle Edition)
More Egg Free Recipes:
- Dairy & Egg-Free Rustic Meat Pie Recipe
- Disney Pixar Cars Dirt Cake: An Egg Free Cake Alternative
- Easy Egg Free Banana Bread
- No Bake, Egg Free, Chocolate Banana Cream Pie