One of my favorite pies has always been banana cream pie, but Nick couldn’t eat it due to the egg in the meringue. I decided I needed to create my own version and added it to my list of egg free recipes. I changed things up by making it an egg free chocolate banana cream pie!
Easy Egg Free Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
Our family has always loved pies that have meringue on them, and banana cream pie was one that has always been made a lot. Of course it’s a great recipe to make when you have ripe bananas that you need to use up.
As much as I love traditional banana cream pie I thought it would be fun to change things up a bit since I needed to modify the recipe to make it egg free anyways. We’re really big chocolate fans in this house, so making the recipe an egg free chocolate banana cream pie seemed like a great recipe to create.
I originally created this recipe with a regular roll out pie crust. I recently made it again though with the graham cracker crust, and what a difference it made. This pie is yummy with the regular crust, but it is amazing with the graham cracker crust! I was blown away by the flavor change. The graham cracker crust just adds so much to the recipe!
Here’s What You Need to Make Egg Free Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Large box of instant chocolate pudding
- 1 10 in Graham cracker crust
- Milk (use amount specified on pudding box
- 1 Tub whipped topping (or 1 can of whipped topping)
How to Make Egg Free Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
One thing I love about this recipe is how easy it is to make. It doesn’t take all that much time to make either, which is always a plus in my book!
The first thing you’ll need to do is to slice up the bananas. As you slice them up lay them on the bottom of the crust. It’s easiest if you start at a side and wrap your way in.
Once the entire bottom of the crust is covered place the remaining slices on top of the first layer. When I do this I first place those pieces in areas that have larger gaps between the banana pieces. The idea is to have every part of the bottom of the pie crust covered with a banana layer.
Once you have both bananas sliced and layered in the pie crust it’s time to make the pudding. For this just follow the directions on the pudding box. You’ll want to look at the amount of milk and mixing time necessary for pie filling as it is different from the amount if you’re just making the pudding to eat on its own.
When the pudding is all made per the box instructions all you have left to do is to pour the pudding into the pie crust and then place the pie in the refrigerator! You’ll want to leave the pie in there for at least a few hours. It’s even better if you can leave it in the fridge overnight though. That really gives the pudding time to set.
To finish the pie you’ll want to add whipped topping to the top of the pie when it’s time to serve it. The easiest way to do this is by putting the topping on after you have cut the pie into pieces and placed the slices on the plates. Then all you have left to do is enjoy it!
- 1 10 in Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Large Box of Chocolate Pudding
- Milk (use amount specified on pudding boxes)
- 1 Tub of whipped topping or a bottle of spray topping
- Slice the bananas and lay them on the bottom of the crust. You want them to be as close together as you can get them and you should have two layers of them.
- Follow the instructions on the pudding boxes to make the pudding.
- Pour the pudding mixture on top of the bananas.
- Put the pie in the refrigerator to set for a few hours. Leaving it overnight is best.
- When it's time to serve the pie top the slices with whipped topping.
Egg Free Cooking Resources:
- Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids: More Than 150 Recipes That are ALL Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, and Low in Sugar – By Leslie Hammond (Kindle Edition)
- The Food Allergy News Cookbook: A Collection of Recipes from Food Allergy News and Members of the Food Allergy Network (Kindle Edition)
- What’s to Eat? The Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Allergy Cookbook By Linda Marienhoff Coss (Kindle Edition)