A year or so ago I was on a big health kick. I was really working on counting calories to loose the remaining baby weight from my pregnancy. I had been doing well, but dinner time was difficult. I wanted yummy dinners that were healthy and not stuffed with calories. I was finding though that my grocery budget wasn’t stretching far enough for a lot of fresh healthy food. Not having cooked a ton in the past I didn’t really know what to make, so I turned to the ladies in my amazing mom group. One meal that someone mentioned was for Black Bean Burritos. They sounded really yummy, and easy to make, so we gave them a try. Jason and I both liked them, but for Jason something was missing. It just wasn’t enough for him, so I decided to add to the recipe. At my mother’s suggestion I added shredded chicken, and it was fantastic. The chicken was that little something extra that it needed. Now chicken and black bean burritos is one of our favorite meals.
This meal is quite easy to make, but the prep is a bit time consuming. That’s really the only problem I have with this meal. The prep really isn’t that bad, but it’s one of those that I can’t do well if Nick’s hanging on me. Luckily I only make this on nights that Jason is home, so his job is to keep Nick occupied while I get the burritos ready for the oven. One of the great things about this meal is that it’s easy to adjust. When I make this I make four very large burritos since only Jason and I eat them, but you can easily make smaller sized ones to make enough for the number of family members you have.
- Can Black Beans
- Can of Chicken (you can use freshly cooked chicken if you prefer)
- Bag Frozen Corn
- Shredded Cheese
- Open the can of black beans and mash them. Then shredded the chicken. I usually just take a fork and move it around in the can.
- Place some of the mashed black beans, shredded chicken, and a small amount of corn inside the tortilla. Then roll like a burrito. Continue to do this until the beans and chicken are gone.
- Place burritos onto a large backing sheet. Put salsa and cheese on top. Then cover the baking sheet with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Then take the foil off and bake for another 5 minutes.