Pumpkin pie is staple when it comes to holiday desserts. Yet most pumpkin pie recipes call for eggs, so for those like my son that need recipes without eggs they can’t have it. To me though a holiday isn’t finished until you have a piece of pumpkin pie, so I went on a mission to create a pumpkin pie recipe without eggs.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe without Eggs
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When I went to create a pumpkin pie recipe without eggs I really wasn’t sure how it would turn out. It just seemed like eggs were a necessary part of the recipe to hold the pie together.
To my surprise replacing the eggs turned out to be quite easy. I was also very pleased with how it tasted. I replaced the eggs with applesauce and it really didn’t change the consistency or the flavor of the pumpkin pie.
This recipe is very easy to make. It is the same pie recipe that my family has made for years, but with applesauce instead of eggs. The recipe that we have always made, and that I modified to make egg-free, is Libby’s Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe that you can find on the label on a can of Libby’s Pumpkin. In my opinion there isn’t a pumpkin pie out there that is better then the Libby’s recipe.
What You Need to Make an Egg-Free Pumpkin Pie
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 Tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce – It’s very important that you use unsweetened applesauce. Otherwise the pie will end up too sweet. If you have to use sweetened applesauce then you’ll want to add less sugar to the pie.
- 1 Can (15oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 Can (12 fl. oz) evaporated milk
- 1 Unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Aluminum foil (optional)
- Whipped topping if desired
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie without Eggs
What I love about Libby’s Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe is that it tastes so good, and yet it is so easy to make. It was one of the first pies that I ever baked on my own. Modifying it to make it egg-free does not change how easy making this pie is. It just changes the ingredients some and adds on a little baking time.
Before starting to make your pumpkin pie recipe without eggs I recommend getting you pie shell ready in the pie plate. I think that it just makes things easier to have the pie shell ready to go when you’re done mixing everything together.
To start you need to mix the sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a bowl.
Next add the applesauce and pumpkin to the sugar-spice mixture and stir well.
Finally you need to stir in the evaporated milk. It’s much easier if you add the milk slowly and stir in what you’ve added before adding more. Otherwise there’s just too much liquid and it’s hard to mix it all together.
Once you’ve mixed all of the ingredients together you can pour the mixture into the pie shell.
Now you’re ready to bake your egg-free pumpkin pie! Due to the lack of eggs you’ll need to bake your pie a bit longer then normal. For the most part the extra baking time shouldn’t effect the crust, but you might want to wrap some tinfoil around the edges to keep it from getting too dark.
To bake the pie place it in an oven preheated to 425 and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake for another hour. To see if the pie is done stick a knife near the center and see if it comes out clean. If the knife isn’t clean put the pie back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes and then check again.
Once your pie is finished remove it from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Then serve immediately (with whipped topping if desired) or refrigerate.
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- 1 Can Pumpkin Puree, 15 oz
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk, 12 oz
- 1 Pie Shell, 9-inch Unbaked
- Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves together in a bowl.
- Stir in applesauce and pumpkin to the sugar-spice mixture.
- Slowly add the evaporated milk. Stir in the milk you've added before adding more.
- Pour mixture into the pie shell.
- In a preheated oven bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 then continue to bake for another 60 minutes. Insert a knife near the middle to see if the pie is done. If not bake for another 10-15 minutes and then check again.
- Once removed from the oven allow the pie to cool for 2 hours. Then serve immediately (with whipped topping if desired) or refrigerate.
Serving Size:8 Slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233
I hope your family enjoys this pumpkin pie recipe without eggs as much as we did. Even though it’s egg-free it still has the same great taste that the pumpkin pies I grew up eating had.
More Recipes without Eggs
- Apple Pull Apart Bread (Gluten Free Vegan)
- Egg-Free Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake Recipe
- Easy Egg-Free Banana Bread
- No Bake, Egg-Free, Chocolate Banana Cream Pie